DIY Sarah

Craft, Decor, Art, Garden, and Dessert

Dining Room Curtain Tie-Backs

I couple weeks ago, I posted about the new curtains. I recently picked up some cream satin ribbon and used that to tie back the curtains.

IMG_5043.JPG

I have them all tied a little differently while I try to figure out exactly how they should poof and fall.

IMG_5044.JPG

It’s really hard to get them even so I’ve been tweaking them for a while.

IMG_5045.JPG

I’m planning on adding sheers to the windows for a little better privacy but I really like the added light from tying back the curtains. I’ve just got to get the ribbons even and it will be looking good. I really like how it turned out with the ribbon. It’s just a little more modern and simple than tassels or anything of that nature.

What do you think? Fan of the ribbons or do you think I should go with something more traditional?

Sarah

    Leave a Reply

Brick Garden Path: Part 2

Check out Part 1 here.

After dumping 250 lb of sand, I started laying out the bricks. I used a rubber mallet to level out the bricks in the bed of sand. It really worked much better than I anticipated for evening out the bricks.

IMG_5140.JPG

I edged the path with a row of bricks and filled in the center with the herringbone pattern.

IMG_5143.JPG

You can see I still have a bit more to do. I need to get out my handy brick set and make some partial bricks to fill in the triangles. I am definately going to fill in the large triangles at the bottom but I’m tempted to fill the small triangles on the sides with a bit of potting soil and some thyme. I’ll see just how hard cutting the bricks is!

IMG_5146.JPG

After the partial bricks are in place, it will be time to fill the cracks with some Polymeric Sand. This is the stuff I’m planning on using. It’s a bit pricey ($20) but available at Home Depot which makes things easy.

I’m looking forward to getting the last bits of this project settled.

Sarah

    Leave a Reply

New Vacuum: The Eureka Boss 4870MZ

My old vacuum bit the dust a while ago. I should have upgraded sooner. I don’t know what took me so long. I kept cleaning the old one hoping it would re-gain suction but no luck. Eventually, I did some research and found a new one.

If you’ve never been over to theWirecutter.com I highly recommend it. It’s a review website with independent reviews of all sorts of things. It talks a lot about TVs and other A/V electronics but they have reviews of everything from kitchen shears to vacuum cleaners.

I went for the “best cheap Vacuum” reviews and picked one of the top three.

This vacuum was just $140 and arrived in 2 days. I LOVE Amazon Prime.

Once I received the vacuum, I went ahead and gave it a try on the dining room rug.

I have been sewing in that room and the vacuum managed to get all the little threads up and out of the carpet. It had great suction and the carpet bristle roller seemed to really grab the fibers of the rug and work them clean.

IMG_5041.JPG

The first thing I didn’t like was the pedal for locking and unlocking the vacuum into the upright position.

IMG_5034.JPG

It was hard to engage the pedal and I really had to stand on it and try a bunch of angles before it would release. I’m hoping with some use it will loosen up a bit.

The controls were easy to use once you figured out how they worked. There are 2 levers which is odd but one acts as a lock to really keep the bristle roller up when you’re on hardwood.

IMG_5036.JPG

The labels are confusing on the dial. It goes from high carpet to low carpet with some in-between being labeled as bare floor. How does that make sense?

Another unusual feature of this vacuum is this knob.

IMG_5038.JPG

Instead of the suction tube coming up so that it can disconnect to be used as a want, there are two separate suction routes. I suspect this is what makes this a great vacuum. The flexy tube can’t be optimal for suction and by having a dedicated tube for the floor vacuum, you can increase the suction in the standard operating mode.

The on/off switch is on the front which is not unusual but I’m accustomed to the foot pedal switch. I think I prefer a front switch since I can never find the foot switch without looking for it. I suppose that’s probably because I never vacuumed enough.

IMG_5037.JPG

The final issue to note is the power cord. I prefer manual cord stowage to any automated nonsense: more fool-proof. But, I do like it when the clip at the plug-end actually fits on the cord. I ended up having to use a cord tie to tidy up the cord on the vacuum.

IMG_5040.JPG

These are all minor issues and it’s those minor issues that keep this from being an expensive, high-end vacuum. With some UX (User Experience) or UI (User Interface) Design work, this could be one awesome vacuum. The suction really was incredible. For $140, some odd interface choices are well-worth the trade-off.

Sarah

    Leave a Reply

Early Spring Garden Update

The bulbs are poking up in the front.

IMG_5160.JPG

IMG_5159.JPG

IMG_5153.JPG

IMG_5151.JPG

The croci are blooming in the back
IMG_5117.JPG

IMG_5118.JPG

And the grass is greening up.

IMG_5113.JPG

The parsley I started a few weeks ago is ready to go outside.

IMG_5102.JPG

There is some cool fungus on the lilacs.

IMG_5121.JPG

This Coreopsis is sprouting.

IMG_5138.JPG

I’ve planted some pansies out front.

IMG_5158.JPG

I love spring. It’s been a long, cold, lonely winter and seeing the bulbs pop up has been great fun.

Sarah

    Leave a Reply