Do you remember the trash pile?
It sat at the end of our driveway growing ever larger with the intention of being removed someday, sometime. This was the beginning of the summer and it grew larger by the end but really, who takes photos of mounds of trash?
Well the radiator guys came Wed and after 3 hours of horribly back-breaking labor, Valentine was excited to come the next day and pick up the pile of trash.
Pick it up he did. They loaded it all, swept, raked, and hauled it all off. I don’t know if there is a single before/after that I am more excited about than this trash removal. I guess the walls were also exciting but not tripping over splitered boards full of nails all the time is a luxury I had sorely missed.
Thanks Valentine. I appreciate it!
We were checking the entire past week for professional removal companies in order to remove the old (nonfunctional) radiators we got with the house to make some extra space. The small group came at 3 on Wednesday. There were three guys and it took them only 2 hours to remove the seven radiators, the old cast iron tub, and carry the claw-foot tub up to the third floor.
They were such pretty radiators but I’m glad to be rid of them.
Don’t be fooled by them setting lightly against the tree. These things are HEAVY. So heavy it takes all of me and Stefan’s force just to slide them. The guys had a couple of tools to help them. One was this dolly with 2 pairs of different sized wheels:
I’m not sure how they got them up into the truck.
The house is practically floating now that all that weight is gone! It’s so nice to have recovered that space and Morei indicated that most of them were cracked which validates 100% our choice to get rid of them and go with forced hot air heating.
Yay, the big hole in the cabinets is gone!
We used paneling adhesive and pin nails. In the picture you can see we have an ikea Lack table and some scrap wood and boxes set up. We used those to hold up the heavy fan and vent liner while we put it in place. After bolting in the guts, it was time for the fun part.
We tossed up the wood vent cover and tightened it up. We pre-drilled holes through the sides of the adjoining cabinets and used screws to tighten everything up. It made a huge difference in how tight the seams were.
And after the screw goes in to pull everything together,
The seam is nearly invisible.
I’m so excited to finally have a vent hood.
Here’s the list for the kitchen:
- Finish installing countertop (behind stove)
- Seal Countertops
- Under-counter outlets
- Under-counter lighting
- Install final window
- Window Trim
- Plate rack
- Finish flooring install
- Install exterior door
- Plan out microwave cabinet and install
- Stairs re-do
There’s plenty more work to do but it’s exciting to knock things off the list.
It’s been slow going but I’ve started working on the bathroom walls. I can’t get them completely done until the trim is up around the windows but I’m making progress.
I started in the area behind the toilet. I figured that was the least noticeable area. It’s hard to get everything strait and even but I think I’ve got a system.
I’ve got the laptop set up there and I play an episode of Veronica Mars and go to town with the tile.
I can do about a third of a box in an episode…not a fast project but I do think I’m getting faster. I’m using a tile adhesive mortar that is pre-mixed which makes it really easy to start and stop. I can do an episode or two’s worth after work without too much start-up time. The pre-mixed is so nice that way.
I’m hoping that once moldings go in, it will just be a couple more days until grout and after grout comes fixtures! Yay toilet and sinks!