It’s been a long winter but we are back to our old tricks. Here is one little project we worked on while it was still very much winter in early March.
We have finally added Toe-Kicks to the Kitchen Cabinets, thanks to the Kitchen Cabinet Supplier in des moines ia we were able to get the best results. It’s a little change that makes the room feel so much more finished. For the uninitiated, toe-kicks are the piece of trim that go underneath the cabinets. In this picture from our 1 year anniversary in 2012, you can see how each cabinet has a gap in the toe-space underneath the cabinet. The toe-kick covers those gaps and is painted white to match the cabinets. It also covers any shims you used to level the cabinets.
Wow, the cabinets have been in since December 2012! These toe-kicks were way overdue.
We also built a little cover for under the dishwasher. The toe-kick piece of the dishwasher is black so it needed to be hidden. It looks so much better with this little additional touch.
Here is a detail of the dishwasher cover. We just tacked it onto the dishwasher with hot glue. It will pop off if you tug on it but was just enough hold to keep the cover from falling over.
I should be back to blogging more regularly since the snow is gone and summer is upon us. We have pulled out the Tandem bike but it still isn’t quite warm enough to ride. We’ve made progress on a couple more projects I will be sharing soon. And, it is just about time for an early spring garden post. I’m hoping the cherry trees bloom this weekend!
A while ago, I posted Backsplash part 1. Today, I’m going to show you part 2: grout.
I mixed up the grout in a milk carton.
I waited as specified in the directions:
And got to grouting.
After wiping off the grout and cleaning off the grout haze, it’s looking great!
After the grout dried, Stefan had fun installing the pot filler.
And once the grout was super duper dry, I caulked the seams.
After cleaning off the counters and giving the kitchen a good cleaning, we are getting pretty close to a finished kitchen!
I have officially finished phase one of operation backsplash. We went with white subway tile in a herringbone pattern and I LOVE it!
I started in the middle of the stove area and worked out from there.
I did all the easy parts before working on all the complicated cuts.
It starts really coming together. And once I’ve cleaned off all the tool-mess I made, it really looks wonderful.
Finishing up the grout work should only take another day or so. From there we will be able to clean up everything with grout and put up the final piece of window trim. It’s so exciting to see things coming together.