Two weekends ago was Patriots Day weekend AKA Boston Marathon weekend. As you might imagine, it was a BIG deal this year. Even bigger than normal. Stefan and I are working for a lab affiliated with MIT so we get Patriots Day off, yay 3 day weekend!
We spent the weekend playing host to a friend of a friend who was in Boston for a job interview. Nico was a great guest and I LOVE playing Bed and Breakfast host. We sent him out into the great wilds of downtown Boston for the day and got to work on the windows. We know how to get the best deal on replacement windows. Typically, new windows are installed from the outside. Our house is REALLY tall…and our windows are REALLY big so we developed an alternate method.
The first thing we do with a window, is pull off the trim. We score the edges with a box cutter to cut the years of paint that are holding the trim onto the wall. Then we pry them off with a prybar and hammer. It’s loud, dusty, and dangerous, so wear your PPE: ear plugs, mask, and safety glasses. After the trim is off, we remove the plaster from behind the trim. Gross. Plaster is a big mess but it has to be done. We have developed a method of scoring it with a dull knife and then prying it off with a prybar and a broken screwdriver.
Then it’s time to disassemble the window, specialists on replacement windows kansas city helped us here. They Remove the weights and the panes trying not to break any glass. Glass is a pain to clean up. Once you have the easy to remove pieces out, it’s time to remove the frame. This involved the Saw-Zall.
After much sawing, the frame is out and you are ready to put the new one in. We go ahead and take the storms off at this point. We just unscrew them and pull them in the big window opening. Once the storms are off, Vector has to be locked up.
We build the new, smaller frame on the floor around the new window. We screw in the flange to the new frame and lift the whole unit, window and frame, into the extra large window opening.
And then we shim. Shim-shim-sher-ee, Shim-Shim-sher-Roo!
Here’s a Before from the Outside:
And an After from the Outside:
So much better but the real benefit is in the lowered draftiness factor. Those old weighted windows are drafty and most of the windows in the house are spongy and need a LOT of work.
Hey look, that’s the den wall and the den rug. That’s right, the couch that was too big made it into the second floor.
We wrapped the whole thing in saran wrap,
and dropped a Block and Tackle from a beam sticking out the third floor window.
We had a couple extra lines tied to the front of the couch so we could pull it away from the porch roof.
Then we (or I should say, Stefan and our friend John) finagled it into the window.
And once we were in the window, we disconnected the pulleys.
After de-saran-wrapping and loading on the throw pillows,
We LOVE it. It’s super comfy and is just the look we were going for. It’s great for curling up to watch a good movie and we’re looking forward to hosting Game of Thrones next week!
Stefan talked me into getting a 50″ Plasma TV for the den. It fits just to the right of the door to the den closet. (The den used to be two bedrooms so there are 2 closet doors.)
Believe it or not, there is still room to the right of the TV for the built-ins we are planning for that far wall.
To mount the TV, we went with this giant TV mount:
Installation was fairly straightforward though it is absolutely a two-person job. One nice thing about this mount is the plate that goes against the wall has a wide range of hole patterns so even non-standard beam spacing is ok. In addition, you have some give in where on the mount the TV is placed. The center of the mount is located about 4 inches left of the center of the TV.
The mount moves surprisingly well and all-in-all looks pretty good.
You can see we haven’t quite finished our wiring but we are close to getting this project buttoned up and looking good.
Stay tuned for reviews of all the “toys” Stefan convinced me to buy and further speaker mounting plans.